A Typical Day at Mount Hope Kindergarten!
(Times may vary for each teacher, but all subjects are included in each classroom.)
8:30–8:45 Interactive Free Play
During this time the children are allowed time to play with several different toys and activities chosen by the teacher for various skills to be worked on.
8:45–9:30 Circle Time and Handwriting
1. Pledge to flag.
2. Opening prayer—memory verse and group devotions.
3. Calendar and counting chart (1–100).
4. Introduce the theme of the day.
9:00–9:15 Bible (including classroom prayer requests)
9:30–10:00 Snack/D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything and Read) Time
10:00–10:30 Language Arts
Curriculum: teacher’s accumulative materials including visual, tactile and auditory aids; Big books—both commercial and class made.
3. Cause and effect
4. Sequencing of stories
5. Story comprehension
6. Following directions.
(Whole Language and phonics is the basis of Kindergarten’s Language Arts.)
Introduce letter of the week:
1. Teach letter recognition
2. Capital and lower case
3. Letter sound
4. Picture match with letter sound
5. Sound recognition of letter in beginning
6. Middle and end of words such as bat, table, cab
7. Formation of capital and lower case letter
8. Poem or song to go with letter
9. Drill the Alphabet Train with sound for sequence of letters, for letter
partners and for sounds such as Aa, Bb, Cc, etc.
11:00–11:45 Center Work Time
1.Math activity center
2.Language activity center
3.Journal writing center
4.Art activity center
Curriculum: Math Manipulatives used to teach all concepts, which are:
2.Number recognition (1–100)
3.Number of sequencing and concept of numbers
9.Addition and subtraction (1–5)12:15–1:00 Bathroom/Lunch/1:00 Dismissal
1:00–1:30 Rest time/D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything and Read) Time
2:00–2:15 Prepare for dismissal/P.M. Recess